Friday, December 17, 2010

When I Think of Child Development …

I think of play.

I finished the title sentence because I truly believe that play is such an important piece to child development.

As I searched books and websites for quotes that really spoke about my feeling about childhood development and play, I came across the one’s listed below. It was hard for me to choose because they were all said what I have always spoken of play. I had to stop myself because I could have gone on listing the quotes. I hope they are as meaningful to as you as they are for me.

Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning… They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.
- Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers’s Neighborhood

It has become increasingly clear through research on the brain as well as in other area of study, that childhood needs play. Play acts as a forward feed mechanism into courageous, creative, and rigorous thinking in adulthood.
- Tina Bruce, professor, London Metropolitan University

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but play is certainly the father.
- Roger von Oech, President, Creative Think

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than a in a year of conversation.
- Plato, Greek Philosopher

Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for I alone is the free expression of what is in a child’s soul.
- Friedrich Froebel, Father of modern Kindergarten

Today’s children are controlled by the expectations, schedules, whims, and rules of adults. Play is the only time they can take control of the world.
- Sheila G. Flaxman


I would like to say thank you to all my colleagues for giving great feedback and for sharing your experiences with me. I hope to collaborate with you in future courses.

11 comments:

  1. I really liked the quote, "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than a in a year of conversation" because it is so true. When a child plays they are showing who they truly are, what interest them by exploring their surroundings and learning new things,and expressing themselves by building bonds and friendships with others. Children are so honest and they can be real. When you get older people say and do things that they believe others want to hear or want them to be in life. Children should be supported and encouraged to be their own person and be proud of who they have become in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kali, I agree that play is so important to the development of children. I loved your quotes. I also loved following your blog and discussion posts. You helped to make the 2nd course in this program enjoyable for me. You have so many good ideas and knowledge to share. I look forward to the next class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When children play, it is truly magical. Their "true color" appears and defined. Play also shows how much children know about the world. Play should always be encouraged.

    Thank you for your frequent inputs. I enjoy learning from you through the class. Hope to see you in upcoming courses.

    Happy Holidays.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kali,


    I'm not sure how I deleted this the first time, but you are so correct; play is the heart of learning in early childhood, something often forgotten with the push for stronger academics.
    I wanted to thank you for your informative posts in both your blog and the discussions. Your commitment and passion to the field of early childhood is evident in your postings, and you serve as an inspiration to us all. Good luck in your future courses.

    Sondi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies!

    I enjoyed your blogs and discussion during this course. I really received great insights and ideas from you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kali,

    I love it! Playing is so vitally important. I wish they weren't taking it away from us as early childhood educators. I really fight to have fun while learning in my classroom. It's been great! Good luck and hope to see you in another course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kali
    I enjoyed reading your blog. I particularly like your name for your blog. It was so cute that's why I was drawn to read it each time. I didn't respond to everyone each time but i did read their posts. It was so interesting! Thanks for being in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kali,

    I loved reading all of your post. Thank you for all of your feedback and encouragement throughout the course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kali,

    Your post was very good, I agree that play is very important children. Play is how they learn and develop. I wish you the best of luck in your continuing your education and throughout your career.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all ladies!

    I hope all goes well with you and I hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete